Re: Using software your clients propos

Subject: Re: Using software your clients propos
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 09:57:09 MST

Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM> writes:
Bev Parks wrote:
>>But, noooooo. In an interview situation when asked with the same
>>vague question, we interpret it how we wish and answer
>>accordingly. In all likelihood, the interviewer *meant* "do you
>>know how to" do something, but being the masters of language
>>that we are, we ignore that probability and answer to out best
>>advantage.
>>Guerilla marketing at its finest.

> I disagree. I learned more PowerPoint tricks in my first hour with
> the program than the people around me had learned in five years. (I
> cheated -- I skimmed the manual.)
======
Robert, I agree with all that you said. In fact, I am one of
those people you describe. In my organization I am considered
one of two Interleaf gurus, yet I am the only person to have
missed out on the advanced Interleaf training (I did have the
introductory course). My quick mastery of Interleaf came because
desktop publishing is my hobby--so I was already familiar with
all of the concepts from using such software as CorelDraw,
Ventura Publisher, and Microsoft Publisher at home.

I also had a similar experience with PowerPoint with zero
training and no prior experience. (Once you've got one MS Windows
app down pat, you've got them all! 8-)

My point was not that our replies to such questions are
dishonest; my point concerned our interpretation of the question
without verifying that interpretation, and knowing the question
is vague.

Bev Parks
bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil