Re: Internet resources for contractors

Subject: Re: Internet resources for contractors
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 12:53:09 -0400

Mary Howe and Richard Foley have commented on the apparent orientation of
this list toward issues that aren't specifically aimed at self-emplyed
technical writers.

Lately, most discussions -do- seem to be from folks who are empoyed
full-time by one company to work on computer manuals. When I first joined
dealing with 'clients from hell'. Most of the examples in the 'request for
suggestions' queries seemed to be from medical and environmental
publications --- definitely not large-company computer-related stuff.

I'm not sure whether this is a reflection of a true change in demographics,
or whether us independent types have just been too busy meeting absurd
deadlines for unreasonable clients to contribute much. I know -I-
haven't started any interesting threads lately. Hmmm.

How about it?

Anybody want to comment on my current pet peeve: a string of potential
clients who want me to do $4000 jobs for $100 or $500. They get so
-huffy- when I point out that I could make a better hourly wage bagging
groceries. BTW, the guy who offered $100 also expected me to pay for my
own parking for daily 2-hour meetings.

Grrrr.

K@
Kat Nagel________MasterWork Consulting Services
LIFE1(techwriting/docdesign) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
LIFE2(vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com

"Never attribute to malice that which is appropriately
explained by stupidity." (can't remember where I saw this)