<Mecene>

Subject: <Mecene>
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 12:56:13 -0400

You wrote:

>Mecene is a French word (accent eigu (sp?) over the first 'e' and accent
>grave over the last 'e') which literally translates as "patron." Something
>tells me that this may be one of those trendy terms that is not in common
>use anywhere but in Japan. I would like to use something like "support of
>the arts" or "patron of the arts."

>Question: I have been out of the U.S. for a long time. Is "mecene" now
>commonly used (or used there at all) to refer to corporate philanthropy
>and/or support of the arts?

I've been active in the administrative activities of a couple of arts
organizations in upstate New York, including grantwriting and other
fundraising activities. I've never seen that particular term, either in
the popular press or in professional journals. It may be commonly used in
Europe, but not here in this part of the US.

>My client insists that these be referred to as
>"mecene activities."
^^^^^^
I'd suggest substituting one of these:
o philanthropic
o charitable
o public-spirited

@Kat_____ Kat Nagel
MasterWork Consulting Services Rochester, NY
LIFE1 (techwriting/docdesign) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
LIFE2 (vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com