WWW discussion (long vs short)

Subject: WWW discussion (long vs short)
From: Betsy Maaks <bmaaks -at- FRAME -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 08:54:36 CDT

<snip header stuff>

>2. Use easily readable texts, especially adapted for WWW in a restricted
>length.

Wineke,

I second Mark Levinson and Simon North. Consider both reader's time and
download time. It is well documented that it is difficult to transfer paper
to online with NO adaptation, and whoever thinks this is effective
communication is (a) not a technical writer, and/or (b) not a subscriber to
this listserver.

I recommend the book "Teach Yourself Web Publishing with HTML in a Week" by
Laura Lemay (SAMS Publishing, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, 1995). I also
suggest browsing through some of the web sites yourself, to see what you
like, what is easy to locate, visually appealing, etc. Find some competitors
on the Web; they market to the same audience.

Let me know if you have difficulty finding Lemay's book in the Netherlands.

Betsy Maaks

The opinions here are my own, not my employer's (who today is Adobe,
tomorrow...?)

Betsy Maaks + Adobe Systems
312-266-3208 + (formerly Frame Technology)
bmaaks -at- frame -dot- com + 441 W. Huron Street
+ Chicago, IL 60610