Students and bandwidth: Listowner Retorts--List policy

From: "Eric J. Ray" <ericray -at- SHOE -dot- WILTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 12:25:39 -0500

Geoff,
Very sorry to reply publicly, but this misconception really
bothers me and I feel it needs to be clarified.

On Thu, 19 Oct 1995, Geoff Hart wrote:
> In defence of the posting that we can't accomodate everyone
> interested in joining techwr-l (specifically, students),

We most certainly can accomodate everyone who wants to join
completely, totally, without reservation, welcome!

Geoff continues that ...
<snip>
> meantime, the problem is real: digest size has almost
> doubled since I joined the list, far less than a year ago.
<snip>
> when you try to divide a limited good (here, the time we
> each devote to the list) among everyone.
> This is NOT a suggestion that we keep out students. We can
<snip>

True, the size of the list continues to expand and with it, the
volume. (I think we exceeded 1900 subscribers this week.)
As the volume expands, the quantity of valuable information
also expands. I'm sure that I know as well as anyone how
much time this list can require--I also know that the benefits
I've personally gotten from the information on this list FAR
repay the time I've put into it.

Yes, the number of uninformed or intentionally worthless postings
has also increased. However, I think we can all agree that
students have no monopoly on that. (Could we see a show of
hands of all the people on the list today who've gotten one
of my gentle or not so gentle stay-on-topic reminders? Thanks, I
thought so!) Thus far peer pressure, Listowner pressure, and
technical changes to the list have kept it manageable. I see
no reason why that shouldn't continue.

Yes, we had a bad experience this week with a technical
communication faculty member who wasn't as well informed
as he might have been. Oh, well. I'd imagine that his
embarrassment is ample "punishment" for his assignment.
So the students didn't behave as they might have. Oh, well.
I'll have a couple of extra questions the next time a resume
from Findley crosses my desk. Not a big deal either.

As far as students are concerned, quite a few list
members seem to think that this list is not for students.
That is completely incorrect. I started this list for
technical communicators and people who are interested in the
profession and want a place to discuss
the relevant issues. I have never stated or implied
that TECHWR-L was not for students. This is a forum
for professionals who behave professionally. Many students
I know maintain a far higher level of professionalism
than many salaried "professionals."

When I started TECHWR-L I had been a technical communicator
for about 18 months and had experienced my first job
as a technical communicator, my first lay-offs, several
freelancing jobs, and my second job as a technical communicator
in that year and a half. I had also started my MA in English
(Technical Communication) about 18 months previously.
I was a full-time technical communicator when I started the
list, but I was also a student when I started it. I'm
still a student. (It'd help if I'd finish my thesis. ;-) )
Students belong here just as much as anyone else does.

> measure of responsibility to help our colleagues in
> training, as others have noted. FWIW.
> geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

This list EXISTS to help our colleagues in training.
I read this list to learn more about the profession
and to improve my abilities as a communicator. As
the first subscriber to TECHWR-L, I'd like to claim my
position as one of many technical communicators-in-training.
I sincerely hope I have the good sense and self-respect
to find a new career on the same day that I stop
being a technical communicator-in-training.

Yours,
Eric