Legacy Documentation

Subject: Legacy Documentation
From: Susan Daffron <sdaffron -at- CTS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 10:04:00 PDT

Greetings,

Although I have been getting the list in digest form for
months now, this is my first posting (please be gentle).

I'm a freelance tech writer and one of my clients has
approximately 150 manuals that range in length from
15 pages to 250 pages. Each manual is divided into
multiple chapters and contains many graphics and schematics.

The problem is that all of these manuals were created in
Ventura Publisher version 4.2.

In my experience, converting VP4.2 files to Corel Ventura
5 is nightmarish. I also feel that because of the bugs
etc., the program is no longer usable. Since version 4.2 is
no longer supported, I have told my client that they may
want to switch their manuals to another DTP application.

I have considered FrameMaker, but am wondering if this is
the best way to go. I'm sure many of you have had to face
problems like this. What did you do? Do you know if there
is a way to convince Frame (or any other software vendor)
to let me test the conversion before my client spends
big $ to outfit the whole company with new software?
Does FM even have a Ventura converter? Does it work? Any
and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

I know this question is a little off-topic for the list,
so please e-mail any suggestions/comments to me directly.
My e-mail address is sdaffron -at- cts -dot- com

Thanks,

Susan Daffron

Logical Expressions Technical Publishing
Technical Writing, Editing, Design, Layout