Re: Re. Interviewing editors ...

Subject: Re: Re. Interviewing editors ...
From: Joe Fockler <jfockler -at- IPHASE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 11:57:37 -0500

I wouldn't bother pointing it out. More times than not, it is a
mistake on the part of the newspaper employees. I've seen several adds
for my company and for my wife's company where the typesetters made an
error.

Just my $20.00 worth. (My wife won't give me pocket money so I don't have
two cents!)

Glenda Jeffrey writes: +
+ rjl -at- bostech -dot- com wrote:
+ : Geoff Hart had an interesting way to look for good editors.

+ : It just might work. During my last job-hunting exercise, I responded to
+ : a couple of ads for editors. Interestingly, in almost each case there was
+ : a typo somewhere in the ad. Not being quite sure if it was a test, I
+ : always pointed out the error in my cover letter.

+ : Never got an interview at any of those companies.

+ : Perhaps it -was- a test: "Smart-aleks need not apply."

+ It was probably a test of diplomacy. Personally, I would not
+ point out the error in a cover letter; instead, I'd wait until
+ the interview. And even then, I'd be very careful about it --
+ perhaps wait until a relaxed moment at lunch.
+ --
+ Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey -at- hks -dot- com
+ Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc Phone: 401-727-4200
+ 1080 Main St. Fax: 401-727-4208
+ Pawtucket, RI 02860

--
Joe Fockler "Success is when those who know you best
Interphase Corporation love you the most."

-- Samuel Johnson

"Success is going from failure to failure
without loss of enthusiasm."

-- Winston Churchill