Re: Portfolio Questions

Subject: Re: Portfolio Questions
From: Emily Skarzenski <eskarzenski -at- DTTUS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:14:59 CST

Win Day <winday -at- idirect -dot- com> wrote:

>>>But Emily, the reason I don't offer any is because I can't produce
any. The material I've written for various clients is proprietary. I
have to sign secrecy agreements just to see the technology I'm
documenting. <snip>

So I probably never even qualify for an interview. It's a good thing
I have as much work as I can handle!<<<

Yes, I realize that some projects require confidentiality agreements.
Does that mean you don't have *anything* you can show? I suspect you
must have something in your portfolio that's not confidential. At
least, I've never run across anybody who couldn't show me anything
because their *entire* portfolio was composed of secret documents.

I have had people give me documents with changed (fake) logos to
protect the client's identity, or with certain elements blacked out.
All of this is fine. And if people are really antsy about leaving a
document with me (which has never been a problem), I would offer to
read it on the spot if they care to wait the additional time after
their interview that it takes for me to read it thoroughly and make
notes.

The point is, having a largely "secret" portfolio would not be a
problem for me as a prospective employer. I respect agreements other
people have made -- but this is not mutually exclusive with my need to
closely review a candidate's writing.

Emily Skarzenski
ICS Deloitte - Chadds Ford, PA
eskarzenski -at- dttus -dot- com