Re: Portfolio Questions

Subject: Re: Portfolio Questions
From: Emily Skarzenski <eskarzenski -at- DTTUS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 10:23:18 CST

Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM> wrote:

>>>People rarely read writing samples, so make sure that any samples
you hand out include the most attractive-looking stuff you've ever
been involved with, regardless of what it says, or whether all you
did was copy-edit the last two pages.<<<

Uh, I gotta disagree with this. When I was interviewing candidates for
tech writing positions, I insisted that they leave writing samples
with me (which I would return, if they wanted) so that I could examine
their writing closely. I've also had my work closely read by people
who interviewed me.

We've had several threads over the last few months about certification
and how to determine whether or not a tech writer is qualified. I
believe most of the opinions came down to the proof being in the
pudding: that is, how well can the person actually write?

It may be true that many employers are not checking writing samples
closely and just want to see something pretty. But be aware that
employers who do know how to hire tech writers probably are reading
your work -- and they're the ones you want to work for.

Emily Skarzenski
ICS Deloitte - Chadds Ford, PA
eskarzenski -at- dttus -dot- com