Re: <No subject given>

Subject: Re: <No subject given>
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 07:05:30 PDT

>What happens when technology progresses to the point that
>hardware, firmware, and software become intuitively simple
>--simple in the context of obviating the need for tech writers.

>Simple sells, because the average person is an IDIOT when it
>comes to anything more complicated than bodily functions.

>Simple sells. Just ask Bill Gates or Steve Jobs.

I looked at my calendar, and it isn't April Fools' Day. I've been
watching very carefully, and the trend toward idiot-simplicity has
not really materialized in the last 20 years.

Overcomplexity sells, not simplicity. Just ask Steve Jobs (whose
intuitive NeXT computer bombed) or Bill Gates (who can't give away
the relatively straightforward Microsoft Works because people want
the bloated, ill-designed Microsoft Office).

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon * High-Tech Technical Writing
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (503) 453-5841