Re: E-mail / social skills

Subject: Re: E-mail / social skills
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 10:54:00 -0600

E-mail breaks down many of the barriers caused by age, sex, race,
etc. -- not to mention time and distance. I consider this to be its
best quality.

And its worst quality is that it fails to open any doors, either. To lapse into
psycho-babble, since E-mail contact keeps your identity information from your
correspondant, it not only keeps you from being categorized as "them," but fails
to supply enough information to categorize you as "us."

(English translation, while they don't get enough of a picture of you to
distrust you on sight, they don't get enough to trust you, either.)

It's that disconnectedness which accounts for most of the problems with E-Mail.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124