Portfolio questions (was Resumes and Credentials)

Subject: Portfolio questions (was Resumes and Credentials)
From: Mary Howe <howe -at- KUHUB -dot- CC -dot- UKANS -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 10:32:17 -0500

The thread on resumes and credentials has been extremely useful
for me because I'm planning to send out my resume soon. Many thanks.

And now I'm going to shift to a related topic. When I last wrote to the
list for advice, several people told me to put together a portfolio of
samples of my writing. What kinds of things are appropriate? Obviously,
the employee handbooks and training manuals I've written should be
included. How about a form for meeting minutes I designed? Too trivial?
How about tables showing results of data analyses for the grant I'm
working on? How about forms I've designed for tracking data through our
system? These last three things are not exactly writing samples, but it
strikes me that they might be relevant. However, some of them need some
explanation for people who know little or nothing about this research.
Do I attach an explanation?

The next question concerns quantity. Is there a point at which the
portfolio becomes too huge and overwhelming for prospective employers to
look at? The handbooks and manuals are between 12 and 40 pages long.
How much is reasonable to include. Do I take single copies to show at
the interview, or do I make extra copies to hand out?

By the way, I've been on this list for a month or so and have found it to
be vastly informative. Thanks.

Mary Howe

Child Language Program Phone (913) 864-4789
University of Kansas email howe -at- kuhub -dot- cc -dot- ukans -dot- edu
1082 Dole Center
Lawrence, KS 66045