Re: FrameMaker vs. PageMaker

Subject: Re: FrameMaker vs. PageMaker
From: "TERANCE L. MCNINCH" <tlmcninc -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 10:10:28 -0400

I use PageMaker. But others in our academic department use FrameMaker.
The line we see drawn is this. I produce: brochures, cd graphics,
newsletters (heavy visuals), pocket guides, and other products that need
to be tweeked. PageMaker works great for this.

The others work on books, research reports, etc. Heavy text, few exotic
visuals, some diagrams, much more static. FrameMaker works great for them.

Decide which to use? Use both! If you notice in some fine publications
they list the products used during production. Many use a variety.

Long ago we tried to force people to use specific software because it
worked well in a specific situation. However it isn't the best solution
for other projects. What happens? People get aggravated, productivity
drops, deadlines fail, and on and on.

The answer? Listen to the people who do the work. They have the
answer. Give them the tools to do the job. Your peace of mind, your
family-life, your hobby, your share holders will thank you for it.

Terry McNinch
Michigan's Local Technical Assistance Program
Michigan Technological University