Re: Restricting Access to TECHWR-L

Subject: Re: Restricting Access to TECHWR-L
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 13:00:00 -0600

BTW, interestingly, I found the anon postings about list-relevant topics
more objectionable than the spam. Spam I delete, but the other ones
really bother me.

Two kinds of messages I routinely delete without reading: messages with blank
subject line and anonymous messages.

In the first case, I figure they're simply mis-directed messages to the listserv
and so only take a look if I'm bored or if there are several from the same
poster, indicating some bad information somewhere.

In the second, I figure that if you haven't got the courage to sign your name or
the creativity to make one up, then I probably won't be interested in what you
have to say. Brutal, perhaps, but when your mailbox carries 200+ messages per
day, you've got to draw the line somewhere.

The spam bothered me more, because of the fake subject line. I don't know who
would do business with a person or company that wasn't honest in their approach,
but apparently the spammer thought there would be some, at least.

I see the problems with both approaches, Eric. How many folks are on the list
with addresses which don't match the address they post from? A disadvantage that
I can sympathize with. Remember my address travails of the not-all-that-long
past? (Of course, there are those who'll say it was an advantage, at least in
that case. ;{>} )

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124