Re: WYSIWYG vs. tags

Subject: Re: WYSIWYG vs. tags
From: "Delaney, Misti" <ncr02!ncr02!mdelaney -at- UCS01 -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 19:49:00 -0500

madea asks
>In Word, formatting rarely gets screwed
>up, because it has no tags to accidently enter or delete.

Is this true? Word has no tags? Or, does Word have tags and codes,
just like all the
other word processing and DTP programs, you just can't see them? As
with any word
processing or DTP program, tags and codes on top of tags and codes on
top of tags
and codes will eventually kluge the whole document. Or, is Word an
exception?

I've worked with Word since 1990.

I worked with WordPerfect for one (very unhappy) year between 1993 and 1994.

Whether Word uses what would be called "tags" or not, is functionally
irrelevant. If Word is using tags, it has completely automated the removal
of old tags as a step in applying new ones. I have never, in nearly 6 years
using Word every day to create documents between 1/2 page and 500 pages had
the formatting get "kluged" up from tags on top of tags on top of tags.
(Other headaches, oh yes indeed <wry grin> but not that one.)

I'm one of those users, btw, who's always trying something the developer
never dreamed of and crashing "perfectly stable" applications. I feel
confident that if it were possible, I'd have figured out how by now.

Misti
ncr02!mdelaney -at- attmail -dot- com

All That pulses is not a motherboard!