SAT scores and GPA

Subject: SAT scores and GPA
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 17:49:21 -0700

>Unless they've changed the scale since I took it, the highest score
>attainable on the SAT is 1400; higher than that and you're looking at a
>computer glitch. I guess they're looking for LUCKY people.

For as long as I can remember (I took them in 1958) the SAT scores have
ranged from 200 to 800 on each of math and verbal, so the total possible is
1600. A score of 1400 would assure that the applicant has well balanced
aptitudes, since neither score could be under 600.

GPA is another excellent predictor. It predicts that the applicant will find
out what's required and strive to supply it.

However, I think the requirement of 1400 SAT and 3.6 GPA would rule out many
worthy candidates. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro