What size monitors do you have?

Subject: What size monitors do you have?
From: David Fisher <DAF -dot- DSKPO27B -at- DSKBGW1 -dot- ITG -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 07:59:00 CST

Karen wrote:

<snip>
We're trying to justify to a boss who's never worked with tech writers
before (and likely didn't know they existed before he started working
here) the need for
A) A real DTP (FrameMaker)
B) 21-inch monitors (instead of 17")
c) Formal training on Frame
<snip>

My workgroup was in a similar situation. We had convinced management that we
needed a DTP product and we got PageMaker. The best information you can use to
convince a manager is fiscal. A DTP program will reduce cycle time for
documents. It is better than a simple word processor (even the much touted Word
6.0).

For the 21-inch monitors, we brought the boss over to our desks and had our
monitors set up to show a full page (1024x760x256). He was appalled when he saw
how small the type was on the monitor and we appealed to the ergonimic aspects
of larger screens. It worked. We had to find a source for less expensive
monitors, but they have 21-inch screens.

Formal training went back to reducing cycle time. We found a two-day class on
PageMaker offered by a local company with a discount for more than two students
from the same company. If you are in a large metropolitan area, there are
probably companies to help you. It was off-site using their equipment.

Hope this helps,

David Fisher
dfisher2 -at- ti -dot- com
[I don't speak for TI and they don't speak for me.]