What size monitors do you have?

Subject: What size monitors do you have?
From: Karen Mayer <Karen_Mayer -dot- TOUCH_TECHNOLOGY -at- NOTES -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 16:04:07 EDT

Hi y'all! I'm back (did anyone miss me?)

We're trying to justify to a boss who's never worked with tech writers
before (and likely didn't know they existed before he started working
here) the need for
A) A real DTP (FrameMaker)
B) 21-inch monitors (instead of 17")
c) Formal training on Frame

We have an incredible documentation schedule and feel that formal
training will take weeks off our total training time. Besides, getting
out of the office to do it will enable us to focus fully on learning
Frame, as opposed to having to deal with everyday life at work while
trying to learn it.

I think the hardest thing to justify will be the 21-inch monitor. With
the 17" we have now, we have to use the scroll bars to scroll down far
enough to see the rest of the page. At my old job, we used 21-inchers and
could see an entire page on the screen. In my mind, there's really no
other way to go.

What size monitors do you use? Are you happy with that? If you're using
21s, how did you manage to convince your manager that it was out of
necessity, not decadence, that they were requested?

Thanks. It's great to be back!

-- km