Re: dictionaries

Subject: Re: dictionaries
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 08:49:34 -0600

On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, Stan Radomski wrote:

> What dictionaries do you use and, more importantly, how often do you replace
> them?

Random House Unabridged (about 15 yrs. old) due for replacement, but am
not in a hurry because of the cost.

OED. Again, not the latest version which I would love to have, but this
one is still very useful.

Webster's New World (Third College Edition) about two years old.

I also have some specialty dictionaries which I find useful and fun
reading (such as the Dictionary of Americanisms and the Dictionary of
Word Origins).

While not dictionaries, I also use a variety of thesauri useful. Among
my favorites: Sisson's Synonyms.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu