Re: Software development: they must let us in!

Subject: Re: Software development: they must let us in!
From: Len Olszewski <zeuser -at- NANDO -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 00:34:01 GMT

cmccaffrey -at- spyglass -dot- com (chuck mccaffrey) wrote:

[...]

>Having well-defined means of communication, cut-off dates, and that sort
>of thing is fine. But documentation is not code so I'll say it again:
>Overmuch concern about "process" may leave you with no product, which may
>leave you without a job.

While documentation is not software, the line between the two continues to
blur. Online documentation that must ship with a product for it to be
usable makes this a moot point; the writing process must integrate with
the development process if both are to ship simultaneously - especially
if the help must compile on a variety of platforms.

The time for writers and developers to be on the same team is here, and
has been for a while. There shouldn't be two processes.

And, of course, I should also be a millionaire. Go figure. 8-)

Len