Technical Background

Subject: Technical Background
From: Kim Andrews <Lotiki -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 13:48:02 -0400

Paul wrote: " It is CRITICAL that a technical writer have some technical
background
to properly document sophisticated technologies. There is a logic common to
all technologies that a TW with a technical background will already have
intimite knowledge of that can be used as a basis for understanding a new
technology. (I'll exempt documenting software because I don't have the
experience or the knowledge base to take a position on it.) As an example -
if a technical writer has experience in hydraulics, that TW can use that
experience to understand electrics, which will lead to understanding
electronics, which can lead to understanding avionics, telecommunications,
computer hardware, etc."

I may be the only individual who will disagree with this, but I do. Unlike
the majority of technical writers on this loop, I am not in the software
industry. I currently write documentation for a bank.

My greatest strength is the ability to learn quickly. I knew nothing about
banking, and accounting was not my forte when I took the position. Now, I
understand banking as well as the people who create the policies I write
about. I enjoyed learning this field.

I have hired another writer who knew nothing about banking but was curious
and willing to learn. I find that the ability to learn coupled with BASIC
scientific, technical, or business knowledge is a sound basis for technical
writing.

Kim Andrews