Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 22 Aug 1995 to 23 Aug 1995

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 22 Aug 1995 to 23 Aug 1995
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 08:31:51 -0400

Nancy Hoft asked for suggestions to help an intern learn about audience
analysis.

I use a checklist that includes a range of audience-related issues. I
don't have a copy of it handy, but --- off the top of my head --- these are
some of the items:

Age range?
Educational range?
Responsibilities: decision makers vs. recommenders vs. victims?
Political Correctness sensitivities?
Sensitivity to $$$ or other issues?
Point of view: traditional vs. trendy?
Concept- or detail-oriented?
Previous knowledge of subject and of related jargon?
What kind of authority do they trust to deliver information?
Past problems with this audience?
Negative preconceptions or prejudices we need to be aware of?
Positive preconceptions on which to build?
What benefits are they looking for?

Also:
Is there a specific problem that this doc or video should solve?
What change (in attitude or behavior) is desired in the audience as result
of this project?
How was this accomplished in the past?

Hope this helps.

@Kat
Kat Nagel LIFE1 (techwriting) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
MasterWork LIFE2 (music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com
\'o o'/ If more of us valued food and cheer and song
={ ^ }= above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
_____ Thorin Oakenshield