Salary Survey Anyone?

Subject: Salary Survey Anyone?
From: John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 10:35:00 PDT

Re: salary issues/surveys: Why Not Do Our Own?

Many people complain about the STC survey without seeming to hit on the
obvious solution: let's do our own. I'd be willing to organize the
spreadsheet and delete the messages).

(Or, if you don't trust me or the internet with your salary information, you
could use an anonymous remailer.)

Note that, methodologically, this won't any "better" than the STC
survey--it's still a self-selected group (within a larger self-selected
group) with no independent verification. Still, it would seem that for many
people the incentive for telling the truth (getting useful data) should
outweigh the temptations to lie, whatever they are. (Psychologically, it's
certain that you won't trust the data if you lie. Therefore, if you lie,
you won't get anything from the survey results.)

If enough people send me e-mail (catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com) indicating that they
would be interested in doing this, I'll devise and post the "Official Whiz
Bang Techwr Online Technical Communicator Salary Survey Form." If only a
few folks express interest then I won't bother.

Comments? Other suggestions?
John Gear (catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com)

The Bill of Rights--The Original Contract with America
Accept no substitutes. Beware of imitations. Insist on the genuine articles.