Re: HELP: Indexing user manuals

Subject: Re: HELP: Indexing user manuals
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 07:38:19 EDT

Peggy -- I saw your posting on TECHWR-L, which I subscribe to in digest
mode. I've sent an FAQ file (from the INDEX-L list) to TECHWR-L in
response to your request for references, but I thought I'd send a
separate reply as well.

I'm a technical writer and professional indexer, and I have often
responded to indexing questions here on TECHWR-L. I've also presented
several indexing workshops at various STC conferences, and I deliver my
two-day workshop, Indexing Skills for Technical Communicators, at client
sites throughout the U.S. and Canada. STC recently added my workshop to
its new Seminar Series, and ASI (American Society of Indexers) has
included two of my workshops in its Professional Development Workshops.

BTW, I'll be presenting several indexing workshops in October: the STC
Region 4 Annual Conference in Chicago (10/6-7); the Practical Conference
on Communication (PCOC) in Oak Ridge, TN (10/12-13); the Middle Tennessee
Chapter of STC in Nashville (10/14); the Heartland Chapter of ASI in
Indianapolis (10/21); and the Western New York Chapter of ASI (10/22).
Also, I'll be presenting a one-day version of Indexing Skills for
Technical Communicators for the DC-Metro Chapter of ASI in Washington, DC,
on November 18. If you're interested in attending any of these
conferences or workshops, please let me know, and I'll give you the name
of the person to contact.

Another conference that may be of interest to you is the Rocky Mountain
Indexing Conference, which will be at the Boulder Public Library on
Saturday, September 30. Presentations include Basic Indexing Techniques
presented by Linda Fetters (Past President - ASI and author of _A Guide
to Indexing Software_ and _Handbook of Indexing Techniques: A Guide for
Beginning Indexers_), Handling the Freelance Life by Vicki Agee (Agee
Indexing Services, Albuquerque, NM), and Indexers in Cyberspace by Lynn
Moncrief (TECHindex & Docs, Tustin, CA) and Janet Perlman (Southwest
Indexing, Scottsdale, AZ). The registration fee for ASI members is
$30.00 (before 9/1/95) or $35.00 (at the door), and the registration fee
for non-ASI members is $45.00 (before 9/1/95) or $50.00 (at the door).

I'm always happy to answer indexing questions for techwhirlers; however,
since I subscribe to this list in digest mode, feel free to send e-mail
messages directly to me if you need a quick response.

Happy indexing .... Lori

Lori Lathrop ----------> INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com
President - Colorado Chapter of ASI
Lathrop Media Services, P.O. Box 3065, Idaho Springs, CO 80452
Office: 303-567-4011 / Home: 303-567-9533