Re: Would you be angry?

Subject: Re: Would you be angry?
From: Kathy Kennedy <ukk01 -at- EAGLE -dot- UNIDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 09:36:49 MDT

It looks like I'm having the same problem as some of you...

When my salary review was due June 7, I did a little research and
found out that I'm approximately 30% behind what my peers make as
technical writers. I provided an extensive justification for an increase
in salary -- just to scale mind you -- and included a copy of the
STC salary survey. My department manager said that it looked good and he'd
get the paperwork completed immediately. Needless to say, I felt like
*maybe* this company viewed me as a halfway important part of a team.

It is now August 21 and I still don't have even a *small* raise. My
department manager has been pulled off on a project that is out of
town...my repeated calls to him regarding my salary review have basically
gone unheeded. As of last week, I decided I had to go up a level to
find out what's happening. The department VP almost laughed in my
face when she saw the figure -- and this figure *only* brings me up to what
others in the industry are making!! She told me the STC salary survey
wasn't good enough because it didn't include a detailed survey for
my geographical area. She also said that this kind of survey means
nothing because the figures are usually inflated. However, she did
tell me that I was a "key player" in the department, that she
couldn't afford to lose me, and she'd figure out something. Considering
that my annual salary review is now 3 months late, I'm not sure I can
continue sitting around to wait for something I probably won't get.

Just so you know, I came to the Training department in our company from
the Tech Doc. group in the same company approximately 9 months ago.
I'm basically writing courseware now (I'm a department of 1), whereas I was
writing software manuals in the old department (part of a department
of 6). I got a small raise to come to my current department and was
promised the usual "unlimited growth potential". However, I think it's
interesting that when I was pursued again by my old department,
I was offered a 20% increase to come back. I decided to stay -- for
many reasons, including the fact my current department manager had
basically promised the 30% salary increase I asked for.

So, it's just another story, in just another company, where an experienced
writer isn't making an appropriate salary. Sound familiar?

Kathy Kennedy
Senior Technical Writer (and I won't say the name of the company)