Fwd: FW: Registration and "snooping"

Subject: Fwd: FW: Registration and "snooping"
From: Stuart Reynolds <stuartr -at- FIRSTGRAPHICS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 08:37:51 -0800

-- [ From: Stuart Reynolds * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

I copied Dick Dimock's post to another list I belong to, and got this
response back - I think Maurita's comments add to the discussion: would you
cross-post to the techwr-l for me? thanks.

-becca
----------
From: 76460.1625
To: internet!attmail!ucs01!ncr02!bprice ("Price, Becca")
Subject: Re: Registration and "snooping"
Date: Wednesday, August 16, 1995 11:47PM

Becca,

this strategy is actually common enough. About 3 years ago, when I got my
first set of fax/modem software, the registration procedure was to send your
first

fax
to the company, with your name, phone, typical info, PLUS a list of the
applications found on your hard drive.

They were straightforward about doing so, however, in that they stated the
fact and their purpose both in the manual and during the "fill in the
electronic form" part before the fax was sent. There was an option to
surpress the snooping. Their stated rationale was to understand what
software combinations were common, to be sure that their software did not
conflict.

Given that this was Mac software, where some applications which create
"extensions" actually write into a part of the operating system, this made
sense. They also did not sell other software, so I had no potential license-
policing issue.

The answer with regard to Windows is to register by mail, not
electronically.
It's still an option, even if you *do* have a modem.

-Maurita

------- FORWARD, End of original message -------

--
Goin' down in flames...