Re: Mac or IBM? Who cares?

Subject: Re: Mac or IBM? Who cares?
From: Stuart Sipahigil <SSipahigil -at- EWORLD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 12:35:12 -0700

Holli said:

<<Personally, we have both a high-end IBM compatible and a high-end Power
Macintosh at home. I would never even consider ever using the PC compatible
for anything involving writing, technical communication, or desktop
publishing. Then again, I cannot consider using the PC compatible for
anything. Once you use Mac, you'll never go back.>>

and Garret replied (rather vehemently):

<Puhleaze.>

<snip>

<But why take an informal survey here when you can get published results?
Dataquest and other services will tell you that PCs are outselling Apple;
they'll give you precise figures. The stock market will tell you that
Intel/Microsoft are on tremendous rolls due to
growth in the sale of PCs.<

If you remember, James' original request was intended to gather data to
convey to his superiors that the Mac is a viable option in a technical
communications environment. And I would guess that he was informally
requesting that info from us because he couldn't find it published, NOT
because he wanted to start an IBM/Mac war, and NOT because he wanted to know
that PCs outsell Apples.

I use the only Macintosh in our company (with roughly 100 PCs) and I get
constant jibes about it. It's no big deal. I happen to like the Mac and its
operating system better than the Intel/Windows platform, but, again, that's
no big deal.

Many people get their work done on other systems as well, and, as you
indicated in closing, that is the most important thing; not the tools used.
If James wants to use a Mac for technical communication...it's no big deal.

Stuart Sipahigil
Technical Publications Coordinator
Modernfold, Inc.
ssipahigil -at- eworld -dot- com