Re. Orienting your monitor

Subject: Re. Orienting your monitor
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 12:34:02 LCL

Don Pierstorff asked if and how the direction in which your monitor
faces might affect the display. This happens because of the Earth's
magnetic field; since your monitor uses an electromagnetic field to
control the beams of electrons that paint pictures onscreen, there is
a possibility of interference between the two. This was mostly a
problem on older monitors, which weren't so well shielded; I'd be
surprised if it was a problem on newer monitors that support the
Swedish low-emission standard, which are pretty well shielded.

More seriously, check to see if you're anywhere near a main electrical
connection in your house (e.g., a fuse box). At a former worksite, one
PC in the general-use room was essentially unusable because of its
proximity to the box; you had to rotate the monitor just-so if you
wanted to be able to see anything without your eyes going funny. As
part of our Safety Committee, I proposed leaving a pair of lead pants
on the seat for long-term users, but it weren't in the budget...

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.