"Wildcard"/Observation

Subject: "Wildcard"/Observation
From: Kelly Burhenne <burhennk -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 11:31:35 EST

Text item: Text_1

Someone was wondering whether "wildcard" should be one word or two.
While I don't have a definitive answer, an interesting thought
occurred to me while reading F. Scott Fitzgerald. Most of Mr.
Fitzgerald's works were published in the 1920s and I've noticed that
many words which are one word today were two words back in his day,
e.g., any one, every one, etc. (there are others, I just can't think
of them right now!)

This leads me to believe that as usage becomes more widespread, terms
eventually become one word. Therefore, I recommend speeding this
process along a little and using one word ("online" should be one word
too, IMO)!!

FWIW,
Kelly Burhenne
burhennk -at- liebert -dot- com