Re: HELP

Subject: Re: HELP
From: "Dave L. Meek's User Account" <dave -at- ROGUE -dot- DISC-SYNERGY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 15:02:31 -0700

>>On Tue, 8 Aug 1995, Pat Madea wrote:

>> The hidden danger is missing a small hole or leaving some verbiage in
>> a large document that I used merely as a textual placeholder. This
>> method for me has come close to producing some embarrassing passages
>> in my documents. In one document, I just typed "yabba dabba doo for
>> now...." and other nonsense as a placeholder for information that
>> needed to be provided to me by a subject matter expert (SME). It was
>> overlooked until just before press time when it was brought to my
>> attention. Whoops!

>An easier way of doing it is to surround the "provocational text"
>with characters that are not used in your text. For example, I use
>double parens around sentences such as "((No idea what to say; need
>to add more here))". This acts as a flag for the reviewer, and also
>makes it easy to do a search-and-destroy, or at least a search to
>ensure I've added everything I've wanted to add and have removed all
>reminders to do same.

>Works for me, anyways... (and didn't we have this discussion a few
>months ago? <grin>)

>...sue

Another way is to use a series of characters that stands out from
the text. I use 5 or 6 question marks. If I have to put in a
comment, the comment follows the question marks. While a
reviewer might breeze over text, I haven't found on yet that
misses 5 question marks in a row. And searching for the question
marks is easy.

Example: ????? No data available for this subroutine ?????

Dave Meek