Frame/UNIX newsgroups

Subject: Frame/UNIX newsgroups
From: Eliza Sachs <eliza -at- FRANKLIN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 15:52:23 EDT

Does anyone know of a newgroup that has a techwriter type focus, but that
deals more with the technical issues of writing in Frame and/or on a UNIX
platform?

To give you a flavor of what I'd want, some of the issues I'm interested in
are:

1. Finding a freeware/shareware utility that lets users add notes to
a locked Frame document on a Sparc (XWIndows and OpenWin).

2. Using shell scripts, sed, and fmbatch to convert all the files
in a directory to mif and then do search & replace, lock printing
and save as View Only, etc.

3. Possibly using awk or flex to create a pre-processor to clean up
ASCII and TEX documents before pulling them into Frame. Even
better would be a TEX-to-mif filter that I understood and could
customize for different TEX files.

4. Do I need RCS control and if so, how often? (Every time I pass
a document to an engineer and he passes it back? Every time I
distribute a document internally?)

5. When I and one or more engineers work on an internal document, where
should the document live? (In some kind of tech writing directory,
where I know where it is and can still control it,
or in the directory for the project, so it can be carried along
as the project is revised?)

etcetera.

I'm interested in any sites anyone knows of, although we currently don't have
WWW access at work, so those sites are of less immediate use. (If someone sends
me something that sounds like the perfect place on the Web, I'll become
devious.)