Re: It is . . (and there are)

Subject: Re: It is . . (and there are)
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 08:03:09 -0500

Sherrill gave us some good food for thought concerning "It is . . .."
I will add to that by including "there are" in the same category. These
became two of my pet peeves after studying the entry "Expletives" in
the _Handbook of Technical Writing_ by Brusaw, Alred, and Oliu.

I've noticed that the engineers around here love to write "It is recommended
that" in place of the shorter, but more attributable, "We recommend."

LaVonna
LaVonna F. Funkhouser Immediate Past President, OK Chapter
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com Program Manager, 1995 Region 5 Conf.
technical writer Society for Technical Communication
COREStaff Communication Svcs.

My opinions do not officially represent anyone other than me.