generic pronouns

Subject: generic pronouns
From: Jeffrey Pittman <Jpittman49 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 03:38:19 -0400

All languages are arbitrary. When we learned what words mean what, and
how to use these words, we naturally assumed that this instruction was
correct and we memorized these words and rules. I, for one, don't give a fig
what words I use to indicate the user/subject of the documents I write
because I know that these words have been made up by previous generations of
the speakers of the English language. All I ask is to be informed of the
replacement pronoun for he/she. Once I know what the new pronoun is, I will
use that pronoun until it too is replaced.
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that this whole debate has been
caused by simple human pride. When we all stop worrying about what offends
us, and start worrying about what may offend others, then maybe we can also
stop killing each other. Before any of you dismiss this as merely the
rambling of another fruity lefty, I am a very conservative 45 years old NRA
member who has been married and faithful to the same woman for the last 25
years (we met, and married, while attending college in the '60s). Good
luck,
J.P.