How do you organize user manuals?

Subject: How do you organize user manuals?
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 10:00:03 LCL

Hello Peggy,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Peggy_Thompson -at- ccmail -dot- osti -dot- gov an All am 28.07

PP> When you organize your computer user manuals, do you put
PP> everything in logical sequence--start-up, basic tasks, complex
PP> tasks, appendices--or do you organize by frequency of use,
PP> keeping the body of the book focused on basic tasks, with a
PP> reference section for more esoteric tasks, and appendices that
PP> include such one-time learning events as logging on and
PP> logging off?

I prefer to start with an overview, then some examples of typical work done
and then a reference for the program. Everything between I try to put into the
user interface or the online help.

This way, the user has something to take home to read in a quiet place, finds
step-by-step instructions to get started and a reference for the really
esoteric topics. For the rest, (s)he wouldn't open a manual anyhow.

And I write less text and need not revise the manual every time a programmer
catches a cold :-)

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander