Re. Timesaving devices... a cautionary tale!

Subject: Re. Timesaving devices... a cautionary tale!
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 09:45:01 LCL

Hello Geoff,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca an All am 28.07.95

gg> Summary: We'll end up saving lots of time and money once
gg> we adjust to
gg> the new way of doing things, but in the meantime, we're
gg> having to deal
gg> with the snags imposed by our new timesavers.

Never change a running system!

gg> If you can get new
gg> equipment that will improve your work life, then by all
gg> means, do so,
gg> but don't forget to plan for the inevitable gotchas... two
gg> of which
gg> I've mentioned above, and other as-yet undiscovered
gg> gotchas that I'm
gg> looking forward to with some dread.

My equipment has run fine for some time now (Windows crashing once a week or
so). But I remember those WEEKS I needed to set it up.

gg> That leads to moral number 3: if
gg> you're going to bring new equipment online, aim to do so
gg> during a
gg> quiet period, and carefully consider what mechanical
gg> (hardware and
gg> software) and workflow problems the new stuff will create.

Defenitely right. Additionally, I prefer to have the old and new equipment
side by side for some time. This should be especially true, when you change to
Windows 90something in the new future. As I see it, this will be the point
when I buy a new computer with all that new technology from PCI to Pentium to
Plug-and-Play and lots of new software. Then, I will slowly migrate my working
environment. A LAN can really help here, because you can move files easily
from
one computer to the next (or need not move files at all).

But I know, that many companies don't allow for that and I have seen the
places where some collegues work and they would definitely have no room to do
so.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander