Re: 50 Funny Things To Do In An Elev

Subject: Re: 50 Funny Things To Do In An Elev
From: Steve Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 08:38:05 CDT

> Since you didn't enclose French, taken out of context, in quotes, I'm
> compelled to ask what YOU are doing on a technical writing list. Brussaw
> explains this for you quite well in HANDBOOK OF TECHNICAL WRITING.
> Now, what was it you said?
> Oh, yes.
> Well, it's because many people have a sense of humor, and many who don't at
> least have a deep and abiding respect and tolerance for those who do.
> Ease off on the caffeine, svictor.
> Consider using the Delete key if you absolutely cannot tolerate the attempts
> of others to brighten your day.
> Cheers.
> -Vester

I'm afraid I don't understand your confusion. "Pardon my French" is a commonly
used (hackneyed I'll admit) expression meaning "Excuse my profanity." Why on
earth would I need to check a handbook on technical writing before using such
an expression?

Regarding the rest of your post, your points are well taken. I agree I should
have taken a deep breath and hit the Delete button rather than firing off my
post in haste. I was simply irritated at reading something that not only had
nothing to do with technical writing, but was a dreadfully UNfunny attempt at
humor to boot (IMHO of course).

My apologies to everyone for cluttering the list with my flame.

Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com
Landmark Graphics Corporation http://www.cda.ulpgc.es/steve.html
15150 Memorial Drive
Houston, TX 77009 USA