The tools we use: more power, more speed

Subject: The tools we use: more power, more speed
From: Michael Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 09:33:36 -0400

For the newbies out there, I say, listen to the laments of your
colleagues suffering with sub-standard equipment. When you interview
for your next job, ask specifically about the equipment you will be
told to use. You can learn a lot about the company's attitude toward
technical writers and documentation based on the equipment they assign to
you.

I took my current job primarily because of the state-of-the-art tools we
have. As a matter of fact, my other computer is a Cray T3D... :-)

If you want better tools, demonstrate to management how much it is costing
*them* in their penny-wise-pound-foolish approach. Give them numbers and
give them options, e.g. lease what you need.

Management has an infatuation with spreadsheets and the idea of improved
profits.

-Mike

Michael Andrew Uhl Internet: uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov
Lead Technical Writer Compuserve: 72624,2155
SVC/NESC Phone: (919) 541-4283
Martin Marietta Technical Services, Inc. ftp site: ftp.nesc.epa.gov
Primary Support Contractor for the EPA
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Scientific Visualization Center (SVC),
National Environmental Supercomputing Center (NESC)
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)