Sorry, Tammy, but all I offer is finger bowl soup... (Was K&R error)

Subject: Sorry, Tammy, but all I offer is finger bowl soup... (Was K&R error)
From: Shakespeare's Monkey <CARL_M1 -at- VERIFONE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 09:03:22 -1000

Tammy Hale writes:

Carl,

The space between the asterisk and the name of the pointer might give you
problems when you try to compile.

Even if it's not *wrong*, convention is to have pointer name follow the
asterisk without a space between them.

What do you recommend at Roy's? :-)

Carl replies:

Well, if you get tired of Tech Writing, I'm sure that your Software
Design Quality department could use your sound judgement.

Might and even if it's not *wrong* do not an error make. As you aver,
the Standard does not say whether a space can follow a unary operator
or not. I would argue that a compiler that doesn't allow a space between
the asterisk and the variable is noncompliant.

Most coding guidelines would agree with you, but as far as the Standard
goes, it's not an issue.

Try it on some code and see for yourself.

Carl