CALL FOR PAPERS: 1996 Canada/East/Midwest Regional ABC

Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS: 1996 Canada/East/Midwest Regional ABC
From: Jim Porter <jporter -at- MACE -dot- CC -dot- PURDUE -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 13:55:57 EST

| CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT & CALL FOR PAPERS

| The 1996 Canada/East/Midwest Combined Regional Conference
| of the Association for Business Communication (ABC)

| "International Connections"

| Royal York Hotel
| Toronto, Canada
| April 18-20, 1996

| PROPOSAL DEADLINE: December 15, 1995

You are cordially invited to participate in the 1996
Canada/East/Midwest Regional Conference of the Asssociation for
Business Communication, to be held in Toronto, Canada, April 18-20,
1996. Toronto is one of the world's most exciting and livable cities,
a vibrant, international city known for its theatres, shops,
restuaurants, multicultural ambiance, and the Blue Jays.

The conference theme will be "international connections." We are
especially interested in presentations pertaining to issues in
international business communication, or in business uses of computer
networking, or in the two combined (e.g., online international
interactions and collaborations). However, any proposals related to
important issues in business communication and writing will be
considered for the program. Research-based presentations, "how-to"
presentations, and discussions/descriptions of classroom practices are
all welcome.

Possible topics and themes include but are not limited to: workplace
writing via various technologies (e.g., multimedia, World Wide Web,
online resumes); reports of workplace and corporate communication
research; the disciplinary identities of business, technical, and
professional writing; approaches to teaching business communication in
the university curriculum or training in the corporation; consulting
practices and problems; legal and ethical issues in business
communication; theoretical and critical approaches to business
communication; and employment and professional issues for graduate
students, faculty, and working business writers. You can share the
results of a research project; reflect on a theoretical or practical
issue; talk about your most effective teaching or training strategy;
or relate your experiences consulting or writing in industry.

Graduate students and corporate representatives are especially urged
to submit proposals. Proposals from newcomers are very welcome!

--------------------

PANEL AND PROPOSAL GUIDELINES

Panels will be 45 minutes. You may submit a proposal for an individual
presentation (15-minute or 30-minute slot), for a group presentation,
for a set of presentations on a common theme, or for a roundtable
discussion. You may submit more than one proposal. We encourage
alternative panels and formats.

Proposals should include the following information: title of
presentation; names of presenters; academic or organizational
affiliation; a description of the proposed format (e.g., 15-minute
presentation, 45-minute roundtable, two 15-minute papers); a brief
description of the content of each presentation (200 word maximum per
presentation); your mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address.
Please also indicate your audiovisual needs.

Proposals for individual presentations are limited to one manuscript
page. Proposals for group panels should be no more than two pages.
Proposals may be mailed, faxed, or e-mailed.

--------------------

PROPOSAL DEADLINE: December 15, 1995

--------------------

SEND PROPOSALS AND DIRECT INQUIRIES TO:

James E. Porter
Program Chair, CEM/ABC
Department of English
Heavilon Hall
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907
317/494-3734 (office)
317/494-3780 (fax)
jporter -at- sage -dot- cc -dot- purdue -dot- edu (e-mail)

*** PLEASE FORWARD THIS ANNOUNCEMENT! ***