Re: Through the manual meat grinder

Subject: Re: Through the manual meat grinder
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 18:12:39 EDT

Marc Paquette asks:

>> The challenges come from the documentation perspective. How do we document
>> the common elements in the environment and the platform- and
>> language-specific tools without being redundant?

When faced with a similar problem a while back, we tried system icons in the
left margin to mark system or platform specific chunks of text. It worked
reasonably well in several cases. However, most of the content of our stuff was
common. The system specific pieces were minor command syntax differences, etc.
If you have major differences between the platforms, there may be no
alternative but to publish separate manuals for each.

Best regards,

/chet

Chet Ensign
Director of Electronic Documentation
Logical Design Solutions
571 Central Avenue http://www.lds.com
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
908-771-9221 [Phone] 908-771-0430 [FAX]