Re: Conventions

Subject: Re: Conventions
From: Dan 'Fergus' Roberts <droberts -at- PANIX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 21:34:16 -0400

Westra, Kayla L. (13718westr -at- kcpbldg01 -dot- bv -dot- com) wrote:
: Do you "click on" your pushbuttons? Do you "press" your pushbuttons?
: "Illa est causa mea, et ad eam haeso."

The first batch of GUI manuals I wrote has 'click on' in them.
However, since I hate mices, I'm moving to preferring 'select the
pushbutton' or 'use the pushbutton', especially since I try to tab my way
through a GUI as much as possible and dont click or press anything <g>.

And for what its worth, I began avoiding the words pushbutton, field, and
their ilk by having the text for the items in a different font. "Enter the
*CUSTOMER ID*. Use *SAVE* to enter your changes and exit the screen" and so
froth and so on. Doing this helped streamline the docs a bit.

--
-----
Dan 'Fergus' Roberts