Re: Past Tents

Subject: Re: Past Tents
From: Dan 'Fergus' Roberts <droberts -at- PANIX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 21:10:41 -0400

Scott McDaniel (mcdaniel -at- pioneer -dot- uspto -dot- gov) wrote:

: A related question that I've been thinking about lately
: is whether addressing the reader as "you" is appropriate
: (for example, "Once you press <enter>, the software
: processes for approximately 40 days and 40 nights.").

If the reader is going to be the one mashing the button, then I use 'you',
Sometimes, the reader is not the one doing the mashing; he's reading about
someone else mashing <like marketing lliterature kind of stuff> then I use
3rd person. But that case is much rarer.

--
-----
Dan 'Fergus' Roberts