Re. Translation costs

Subject: Re. Translation costs
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 10:51:06 LCL

Chuck Simms asked for a ballpark estimator for translation costs. Here
in Montreal, costs average $0.20 (Canadian dollars) per word for
technical translations; some contractors also try to charge by the
hour, and I've seen estimates ranging from $20 to $60 per hour, with
rumors of higher rates for obscure subjects. If you can, try to find a
contractor who will settle for a cost per word basis; this is more
predictable than cost per hour, which can lead to serious over-runs if
the translator runs into difficulty.

Don't forget to budget for an edit/review of the draft the contractor
submits. Just as with writers, translators can't evaluate the quality
of their own work. (I speak as writer, editor AND translator, so I
know whereof I speak.)

--Geoff Hart #8^{)} <--- wearer of three hats, but one head
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.