Re: Document Numbering

Subject: Re: Document Numbering
From: Jenny Waller <jwaller -at- IDU -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 1995 22:58:03 +0000

Eavesdropping on my partner's list, I came across the numbering system
discussion. A bit old now, but you might be interested in this paper:

Waller, Robert (1980), 'Numbering systems in text', in J Hartley (ed), The
Psychology of Written Communication, 1980, London: Kogan Page.

It reviews some of the issues raised, and raises some rhetorical issues
about the formality and pretensions to completeness of numbered paras (the
ultimate numbered text is Wittgenstein's Tractatus).

A rare reference to numbered text in a rhetoric textbook is in chapter 1 of
Walter Nash's 'Designs in prose', London: Longman, 1980

My piece is lightweight, so don't make an effort (although I'll mail you a
photocopy on request), but Nash is a must-have if you don't already know
it.

Rob Waller, Information Design Unit, UK (rwaller -at- idu -dot- co -dot- uk)
c/o Jenny Waller, Coventry University
jwaller -at- idu -dot- co -dot- uk