Re[2]: Word choice for scroll bar . . .

Subject: Re[2]: Word choice for scroll bar . . .
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 14:59:00 -0600

...It really isn't a *random* pan. Random
implies that you pan without any clue of what will show up on the
screen. Unfortunately, I can think of a word or two to describe what
is actually occurring.

Depends on your audience. Random also has a computer-specific usage, as in
"Random Access Memory." In this usage it means non-sequential, and that's
precisely what you're doing, jumping to another view without sequentially
cycling through a series of previous views.

I'm with Bev, though, on "pan," but for different reasons. Words acquire meaning
from context, and when I think of "pan" in the way you're using it here, I think
of a camera. When I run across "pan" in a non-camera context, however, the first
thing that springs to mind is round, has a handle, and can withstand high heat.

In the context of my computer screen, the word "scroll" always comes to mind
(but that's a function of my past experience as much as anything else).

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124