Need a definition for "server"

Subject: Need a definition for "server"
From: "Delaney, Misti" <ncr02!ncr02!mdelaney -at- UCS01 -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 17:20:00 -0500

From: Price, Becca
To: Delaney, Misti
Subject: FW: need definition for "server"
Date: Friday, July 07, 1995 4:15PM

From: Price, Becca
To: techwr-l
Subject: need definition for "server"
Date: Friday, July 07, 1995 1:28PM

HELP! I need a definition for "server" - but it has to be one sentence,
non-technical, and not get into the concept of networks or anything like
that.

I'm writing a brief document for someone who feels that people should only
be told the bare minimum information needed to do their job, with no
information about context, technical matters, etc. "it'll only confuse our
users." I disagree, but they're the boss on this one.

Anyone have a good, brief, non-technical definition I can use?

Thanks!

-Becca Price
ncr02!bprice -at- attmail -dot- com