Re: Style Guides

Subject: Re: Style Guides
From: Nancy Hayes <nancyh -at- PMAFIRE -dot- INEL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 18:53:04 GMT

In article <9506281544 -dot- AA04868 -at- sabu -dot- EBay -dot- Sun -dot- COM>,
Bob Morrisette <Robert -dot- Morrisette -at- ebay -dot- sun -dot- com> wrote:
>I have the task of updating/rewriting our style guide.

Go on vacation at the wrong time? <grin>

>Do any how-to-write style guide books exist?

Not that I know of. You'd probably have better luck chasing down some
examples you like and plagerizing the format.

>Have any model style guides been published?

Don't know. I actually like DOE-STD-1029 for technical procedures. It
isn't great, but it does work.

>Do most writing groups use style guides as
>hard copy, on-line, or both?

We use both, but we've just barely started using the on-line version. So
far, so good.

>We do hardware, software, policies & procedures.

You =might= want separate guides on each type of document. We do go for
single-function documents here. Advantage: the users learn to expect a
particular set of information from a partcilar type of document.

Good luck, Bob.

Nancy (nancyh -at- pmafire -dot- inel -dot- gov)