Re: Portfolio contents

Subject: Re: Portfolio contents
From: Erik Harris <ewh -at- PLAZA -dot- DS -dot- ADP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 09:33:25 -0800

Sue Ellen Adkins asks:
>I'm working to put together my first portfolio. I think I need to include
>examples of various types of writing but do I need to include samples from
>various tools? Would it be advisable to do the same document in PageMaker,
>Quark, and FrameMaker?

One thing you might consider is writing a colophon for each piece in your
portfolio. Depending on what kind of box or binder you keep your samples
in, you could have a clear overlay for each piece, with a little piece of
paper listing the date of authorship, the purpose and intended audience for
the document, your total responsibilities for it (original
writing/revision/editing/original design/revised design/proof and
publication/etc.), and the tool(s) used for the major document elements.

e.g.:
"Whirligig Device Customer Support Guide"
Published 7/93 as a Technical Support handbook for the company's line of
whirligig devices, which interface between doodads and third-party
wonderbugs
Responsible for original writing, editing, and print production. Design
based on company standards
Body: FrameMaker 4.0 for Windows
Front and back covers: Aldus Freehand 5.0 for Macintosh

This kind of annotation, when you work it into a portfolio, can make your
samples stand out while the reader skims through them (as you sit with your
Dixie cup of decaf and your pressed suit, studying the reader's office
decor, or whatever).

Enjoy the day.

Erik Harris ewh -at- plaza -dot- ds -dot- adp -dot- com (weekdays)
Obscure quotation goes here! TrinityPlc -at- aol -dot- com (home)