Re. Comics as learning devices

Subject: Re. Comics as learning devices
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 09:07:42 LCL

An anonymous poster (I saw only the quoted request) asked about the
use of "comics" as an educational or instructional medium. Arlen noted
the popularity of "comic books" here and in Japan. But there's a
bigger issue:

Comics are really just graphics supplemented (or complemented,
ideally) by text. In most manuals, our "comics" are very heavy on the
text and light on the graphics; conversely, the Sunday "comics" (e.g.,
Bloom County, Calvin and Hobbes) are heavy on the graphics and light
on the text. The important point is that both media have important
strengths, and equally important weaknesses, and the real goal of
"information design" is to use each to its optimum.

Here are two quick plugs if you want to see how a master uses words
and graphics effectively:

1. William Horton's "new media literacy" column in Technical
Communication, as well as many of his earlier columns on visual
literacy. (I haven't read his icon and user interface books, but if
they're up to his usual standards, these will also be excellent
resources.)

2. Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics: the hidden art" (Kitchen
Sink Press, 1993 if I remember correctly... buyer beware). A "comic
book" that explains how to communicate using "serial graphics"
supplemented with or complemented by words. A truly great book, but
you'll have to think visually to get the full benefit from reading
this book.

--Geoff Hart #8^{)} <--- edit-man: slower than a speeding author,
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca able to leap towering manuscripts in a
single person-day, paid by the gallon (of
red ink)... that amazing visitor from the
planet Canada!

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.