The true value of the internet

Subject: The true value of the internet
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 16:23:51 LCL

There's been a lot of criticism of the Internet lately in the popular
press and even in the computer magazines; most of this relates to the
overhyped "infobahn" and the difficulty of finding information.

I've been reminded of the _real_ value of the internet by belonging to
this list over the past few months, something that I took for granted
until I got a half dozen pointed, insightful, helpful responses to a
question I posted within four hours of posting it: The real value of
the Internet, and of communication in general, is that it puts you in
touch with people. Say what you will about Web browsers, WAIS
databases, gophers, and the like, it's the people that make the
internet work. I've yet to encounter a search engine that is as
knowledgeable as 1000+ writers and editors when we put our heads
together to solve a problem and find information.

That's a long-winded way of saying "thanks" to all you'uns out there
in the ether, both for the reminder, and for the joy of returning some
of that help (I hope) through my own postings.

--Geoff Hart #8^{)} <--- no, that's just condensation on
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca the eyeglasses.

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.